Sunday, January 13, 2013

Evan votes for President Obama!

Unlike the rest of us, Evan is one of only 538 people in the entire country who *actually* get to elect the president. That's right, he was one of the very few members of the Electoral College. I've learned a lot more about the whole process since he became an elector than I ever learned in 8th grade civics class! Evan was one of 13 electors for the state of Virginia (same as number of members of Congress), and so we traveled to Richmond in December for him to place his vote. The voting was held in the Capital building; I've already posted some of my more "artistic" shots on the photography blog, so check those out if you haven't. These are more event-centric :)

The first two were taken while waiting for the voting to start; first is of the legislative room where everything took place. It's where the Virginia House of Delegates sits, and was apparently used to represent the US Congress in the new "Lincoln" movie (they filmed a good portion of the movie in Richmond, we found out).
Each of us who had floor tickets were sitting where delegates sit. I was SO tempted to push some of these buttons (although I'm sure they were turned off when we were there). We still have no idea what the "R69" button is for.
In addition to me going, our friends Peter and Rachel took the train down from DC to watch the proceedings. Rachel was sitting in the balcony; Peter and I were on the floor.
Here's Evan looking RIDICULOUSLY official before things began. I love this shot of him!!
The program for the day, complete with my floor ticket and his name!
Taking the oath (this photo was used in the Loudoun Times Mirror with a credit to me! Pretty exciting).
Evan was the master of ceremonies until they swore in their official President.
Evan as he was signing the official ballot. Or it may have been some other sheet of paper - they each had to sign about 50 of them. Either way, love this shot of him.
The (almost) entire Virginia Electoral College (one woman had left already).
Peter, myself, Evan and Rachel after the voting.
While I'm not a huge history/government buff, this whole thing was pretty cool. I felt honored to be able to witness something that very few people ever get to see...and even more proud of Evan for being one of a very elite group of people!

No comments:

Trail 5K

On a cool, wet Saturday in early May, Natalie and I participated in our first ever Trail 5K race! It was put on by my friend Maya's hor...

Most popular posts